The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Debate Coordinator.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A New Jersey Department of Education Standard Certificate, Certificate of Eligibility (CE), Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) or Limited Certificate of Eligibility (LCE) in English, Social Studies, Reading, Business or other relevant subject area is preferred. A New Jersey Department of Education Substitute Teacher Certificate may also be sufficient.
- Minimum of three (3) years teaching experience with the Newark Board of Education is preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years speech and debate experience.
- Knowledge of middle school and high school competitive academic speech and debate programs.
- Knowledge of speech and debate tournament logistics.
- Knowledge of office methods, practices, routines, and equipment.
- Familiarity within local, state and national speech and debate organizations.
- Ability in work with all aspects of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace.
- Ability to maintain records and files.
- Ability to plan, organize and direct the work programs and schedules of speech and debate coaches.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with personnel assigned to other departments and individuals within the districts concerned with speech and debate programming.
- Ability to plan and organize program evaluation related to speech and debate programming in grades five (5) through twelve (12).
- Possession of a valid New Jersey driver’s license if the operation of a vehicle is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the responsibilities of the Newark Debate Academy (NDA) as agreed to its annual contract with the Newark Board of Education, specifically:
- Insuring that all legal documents required for travel to tournaments are completed and properly filed by all speech/debate coaches. The NDA collects trip documents from the coaches, submits them to the appropriate Central Office administrators for review and approval.
- Insuring that the proper budget line supporting speech/debate activities is maintained, that the individual school-based high school speech/debate teams receive annual funding and monitoring the expenditure of speech/debate funds through communication with coaches and school treasurers.
- Coordinating tournament registration travel and lodging arrangements whenever District speech/debate teams travel outside of the City of Newark.
- Developing the annual tournament schedule for District speech/debate teams and submitting it to the District Advisory Board for approval no later than August of each year.
- Communicating with and organizing the training of District speech/debate coaches in the middle grades and the high schools.
- Assisting Office of Teaching and Learning in implementing speech and debate as a classroom instructional tool across academic disciplines in grades 5 to 8.
- Coordinating and organizing summer speech and debate workshops and institute.
- Collecting performance data from all speech and debate teams.
- All other activities conducted by the NDA in support of District speech and debate teams.
- Coordinate the work and performance of District speech and debate coaches, specifically insuring that coaches adequately fulfill their coaching job responsibilities, including:
- Conducting 2 to 3 weekly team practices.
- Recruit and maintain a policy debate team, Lincoln Douglas debate team or competitive speech team that meets or exceeds the specifications contained in the debate/speech coaching contract.
- Utilizing debate and/or speech activities as an instruction tool in their own classroom and serving as a resource to encourage the use of classroom debate/speech by colleagues in their building.
- Supporting public debate activities within their schools.
NOTE: Coordination of speech and debate coaches will be dependent largely upon reports from NDA staff, data provided by NDA staff and site visits to schools.
Reports To: Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION:
- Salary Range: $68,271 to $120,712
- Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
- Union Affiliation: NTU
HOW TO APPLY
The Newark Board of Education is only accepting electronic applications.
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.