Salary and Benefits
Earn what you deserve while doing what you love.
No other career offers more personal fulfillment, but teachers deserve financial security, too. Newark Board of Education offers a compensation and benefits package that rewards effective teachers, giving teachers the freedom to do what they love.
Our teachers receive one of the highest and most competitive starting salaries in the Northeast and urban school systems in New Jersey. For the 2022-23 school year, the starting salary for a teacher with a Bachelor’s in the Newark Board of Education is $62,000, starting salary for a teacher with a Master’s degree is $64,000, and starting salary for a teacher with a Doctorate is $66,000. Teachers with more experience can earn more than $100,000!
Newark Board of Education strives to attract, retain, and support highly effective and qualified educators in order to leverage their passion and talents for the purpose of providing remarkable educational experiences for all of our students.
As a teacher at the Newark Board of Education, you’ll receive a robust benefits package in addition to your salary, including medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug plans. Teachers can select between two healthcare plans (NJ Educators Plan or Garden States Health Plan) for themselves and their dependents. Healthcare premium rates are determined by your salary and costs like co-pays are determined by which plan you select. We cover the total premium costs for vision and dental benefits for teachers—that’s right, those are free! Additional benefits include:
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA), where you can set aside pre-tax dollars for eligible medical expenses
- Commuter Program via WEX, tax-free commuter benefits for parking and transit expenses
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Tax Sheltered Annuity Plans (403(b), 403(b) Roth, 457(b))
- LegalShield (Prepaid Legal and Identity Theft Program)
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Improvement Funds, to attend conferences or classes aligned to your professional growth
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Noom is a psychology-based program that empowers you to take control of your health for good, from weight management to diabetes prevention to stress reduction. NPS pay 50% of the Meeting + OnlinePlus Membership Plan or 50% of the OnlinePlus Membership Plan
- FitOn Health allows employees to take classes at local fitness studios through the District’s Employee Wellness Program at no cost to the employee
Paid Time Off
All teachers can take up to 17 days of paid time off each year: 5 personal and 12 sick days, if needed. In addition, employees get up to 20 holiday and vacation days off during the school year!
Newark teachers are enrolled in the New Jersey Teachers’ Pension and Annuity Fund. As a “defined benefit” plan, after a ten-year vestment schedule, retired Newark teachers can receive monthly pension payments for the rest of their lives. After three years, teachers can borrow from their pension account.
This Human Resources Benefits site provides a one stop shop for all of your needs, including benefits, wellness programs, pension, leaves, payroll, escrow, and much more! Our mission is clear, empowering you to “Know More. Choose Better. Live Well.”